Saturday, November 21, 2009

One night at Bally


Thus finally I did my complete night out yesterday. This is the first time, I am doing this after joining Bally. One of our products which went for a release is having some kind of strange issues. It’s not showing that regularly, some times in some machines. And that too it’s hard to reproduce. In India, we couldn’t even able to reproduce that. With some effort, our US QA Team was successful in reproducing that. It’s something like, if some 20 units are connected, 1 may fail.

With the help of log messages, we started debugging the issue, fixed some of the things, the main problem is still going on. If we are missing some data in 1 port, we are ending up in missing 1 file. Since this is in a serial environment, we can’t guarantee the data delivery.

Currently for the past few days and till the fix works completely, I have to work in US timings. Yesterday I came to office at 11AM and left today morning at 7AM. But I didn’t feel any sad or anger or any feeling like that. I was really happy being here. Though after 12 O’ clock in the night, I don’t think my office was having anybody else, other than the support staff.

Actually, I am the only one currently available in Bally who did work on this product. But none of the top officials did blame me for not fixing this. This issue is escalated like anything till the top level. What I like most in this Bally’s culture is nobody is trying to blame you for anything. If something is not working and is hard to fix, all are trying their part to fix that.

In the meeting which I had from night 3 O’ clock till morning 7, there were 2 directors in US, our Vice President, 3 developers and 2 QA team members. None was trying to blame anybody. All were trying for the final goal. I was really impressed. The culture difference between my previous company and this one is huge. I really love to be in Bally.

I know, if a VP is spending his 5 hours in a day for an issue, how much important this would be for the company. And the directors who were part of this meeting, woow.. there is no surprise, why they are in such a position at this young age. The way they are approaching a problem.. well I am impressed.

NB:- Don’t know whether the management is having some plans to FIRE me for this escalated issue. But truly, I was trying my part in solving the issue. And till they fire me, I love to be in Bally and it’s a great place to work. From the picture with the blog, others may also feel it’s a great place to work. But in India office the same old 99% of girls are beautiful in this world theory can be applied, a Thar desert

No comments: